Monday, January 25, 2010

Living a Tech Life

Ask my daughter what I do, and she will tell you that I am always on the computer or texting. Which is pretty much true.
A few months ago, I upgraded my cell phone to a Palm Pre, and now I can check e-mails and get on-line anytime I want. If the computer is turned off, and I get a sudden urge to look up something, I can. No more putting it off & forgetting about it. (hence my daughters thinking that I am texting since I am on the phone).

If you would have told me 15 years ago that I would be so vested in computers, I would have laughed in your face. My friends from High School can back up this sentiment as well. When I had a report due that needed to be typed up, I would get one of them to do it for me. I was your classic "two finger typist", and didn't think that I would ever be comfortable on the computer.

I still remember my first PC in '96. I was living with my boyfriend of the time, and we bought it, mainly for him. It was Packard Bell, and the BF thought he was computer literate, and was always messing with the stupid thing trying to re-format it and compressing it for more space. needless to say, it was always crashing. And being a guy, wouldn't let me touch it to try & figure it out. No, we would have to wait until one of our actual "tech savy" friends could make it over and fix it. At this point though, I had learned to like the stupid computer. I am not sure if "computer withdrawals" were common then, but I had them. And being the impatient person I am, waiting was not an option. When he was out, I started tinkering and guessing on what to do to fix his mess.


Now I own a PC & Laptop. Both of which are about three years old. The laptop is hooding up well, but the PC is shared with my husband & daughter, and needs some more RAM to keep up with things. In the last year, it has really become my daughters computer. In fact she is on it right now. Did I mention my daughter is only six? She can barley read, but put her in front of a computer and she is good to go. Most of the time, she doesn't even need me to read instructions.


The things I do on a computer have changed too. Back then it was Solitare and a typing tutor program. I thought we were pretty high tech because we used it as our answering machine, w/seperate voice mail boxes; one for me, one for him & one for the alligator. Eventually I was introduced to AOL, instant messaging & "Warcraft: Orcs & Humans". When I finally broke it off with him, the one thing I made sure to take with me right away was the computer, didn't feel like I could live without it.


Today, I still feel like I can't live without my computer, and some things are similar. AOL is out, Google is in; now "WoW" is the game of choice; instant messaging is here, the location though is Google or FaceBook; and now I am productive by creating Web Pages, promoting businesses and organizations on-line and volunteering for a web-based non-profit.


Earlier I mentioned my new cell phone. Seven years ago, my cell phone didn't even have a color screen, let alone a camera. I was soo upset when I had to upgrade my phone because I didn't need all the extras. Now I don't know how I managed for soo long with such a plain phone. Two years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of texting. Ask me if I could live without it now!


My poor husband is not as adaptive as I am, but was forced to learn texting for work. What an ordeal that was! He is some what of an odd ball in our family. Not only am I & our daughter pretty tech savy, but so is his dad. I have been trying to get him to open a FaceBook account, but unless he has to for a professional reason, I can't see it happening.
It is amazing how technology has come, and how we have all evolved with it. I am aware that I ahve become quite dependent on it, but I am fine with this. And I can't wait to see what the future has in store.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

Technology really does have a hold on us. I really liked this post and the picture of the PB really took me back. I can remember fixing that computer a time or two because your BF had deleted system files. He didn't know what they were, he just knew they were taking up space. lol

Do you remember your first "Online" experience on that PC? I showed the two of you how to access my dial-up BBS. Then you both moved on to AOL on your own a while later. And speaking of AOL, I can't believe people still use it! I just had a student call up for tech support the other night at work and while on the call I heard "You've Got Mail!". Turns out the issues she was having with our website was the fact that she was using the AOL browser.

Your habits of surfing the net on your mobile is not just a new fad. It's the future. Mobile web is going to be huge. The big players are planing and creating for that now as seen through the release of more smart phones, tablet computers such as the iPad, and in-car wifi introduced in new Ford cars this year. So, tell your husband to get with the times. ;)

See ya online!
-=Dave=-

Unknown said...

hollister, insanity workout, chi flat iron, vans, asics running shoes, ralph lauren, nike air max, iphone cases, lancel, nfl jerseys, nike huarache, converse outlet, vans shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, gucci, birkin bag, hollister, wedding dresses, celine handbags, longchamp, soccer jerseys, mac cosmetics, bottega veneta, jimmy choo shoes, reebok shoes, mont blanc, north face outlet, ray ban, herve leger, ferragamo shoes, nike air max, nike roshe, louboutin, p90x workout, babyliss, soccer shoes, beats by dre, ghd, oakley, instyler, baseball bats, valentino shoes, new balance, timberland boots, lululemon, converse, hollister, north face outlet, nike trainers